It is easy to feel dejected when the news constantly features negative headlines about the gender pay gap and discrimination against women in business. And whilst there is certainly still plenty of progress to be made, and many obstacles yet to overcome, it’s important not to lose sight of how much women are already contributing in business.
With International Women’s Day falling on March 8th, we thought this was a great opportunity to celebrate women’s progress and success in business and entrepreneurship.
Here are seven encouraging statistics about women in business.
- Over 70% of women aged 16 – 64 are now employed, compared to just 53% in 1971. (source)
- Women now represent 46.5% of the total employed in the UK. (source)
- The number of women on UK boards rose from 11% in 2007 to 28% in 2017. There are now only 8 all-male boards in the FTSE 250. (source)
- Women-owned SMEs contribute approximately £105 billion to the UK economy, a figure that has increased by 40% since 2012. (source)
- Women-owned and women-led businesses combined contribute approximately £221 billion to the UK economy. (source)
- Women-owned and women-led businesses combined provide 24% of the UK’s private sector employment. (source)
- Entrepreneurialism is growing in women. The number of women starting their own businesses grew by 45% between 2006 and 2016, compared to a growth of just 27% in men. (source)
With women still facing gender discrimination in the workplace and when seeking entrepreneurial funding, there is still some way to go before we achieve equality. But when we look back, significant progress has already been made by determined women, despite the challenges.
With flexible working becoming more prevalent and the hurdles women entrepreneurs face becoming hot topics, we are confident that the business opportunities for women will continue to grow and improve.
At Pink Spaghetti we are passionate about providing flexible and profitable virtual assistant franchise opportunities to both women and men looking to take on a family-friendly new challenge. Find out more about our virtual PA franchise opportunities or get in touch with us today on 0333 355 0986.