It’s your turn to have everyone for Christmas this year but there’s one slight problem – you’re working up until Christmas Eve, the kids will be running amok and you haven’t a clue where to start! Well don’t despair just yet as Pink Spaghetti has a few handy hints on how to make life a little bit easier so you won’t be reaching for the sherry before midday like last year!
The first thing is to get organised and plan ahead and there’s no time like the present.
1. 3 weeks before Christmas, start your festive food shop by ordering non-perishables like nuts, sauces and of course wine and beer! Part-baked bread is also a great standby and ensures nice fresh bread with starters or for nibbles. Also make sure you book your online grocery delivery shop for the Big Day as dates will no doubt be booking up quickly!
2. 2 weeks before the Big Day, you can even start cooking a few recipes to save you time on the day. Make your stuffing, mince pies and perhaps even the starter as things like pate and soup freeze perfectly – just remember to defrost them thoroughly on Christmas Eve!
3. 1 week before, start buying fresh vegetables as these will keep well in the fridge or in a cool garage, leave yourself plenty of time if you need to defrost a large turkey too! This is also a good time to stockpile a few family meals to keep in the freezer. With everything else you’ve got to do leading up to Christmas you may not have time to cook but everyone still has to eat, so grabbing something from the freezer is ideal and saves a fortune on takeaways or eating out! You may also want to boil a large ham a few days before Christmas, this is perfect for rumbling tummies or as part of a boxing day buffet. Boil in cider and glaze with dijon mustard and demerara sugar – yum!
4. Congratulations, you’ve made it to Christmas Eve – nearly there! This is a great time to cook your turkey, parboil potatoes for roasting, prepare the parsnips and defrost anything you’ve pre-made as well as setting your table if you’re not going to need it beforehand. Chop up any herbs and parsley and cover with clingfilm to keep in the fridge overnight.
5. It’s here – Christmas Day at last! Hopefully all the preparation means that you can relax and have fun with friends and family without feeling like you’ve run a marathon!
So all that’s left to say is a Merry Christmas to you all from the Pink Spaghetti team.